This is a blog not about the "what" in sports but the "why" in sports. I own 94 New Era ball caps that hang on the wall in my bedroom. Of the 94 I regularly wear only 4 of them, why is that? What causes a fan to claim their favorite team as a part of their family? Why is this country so intrigued by sports? Why has athletics essentially been adopted as religion in this country and across the world? These are topics that will be discussed within this blog. This blog is for educational purposes only and will only be viewed by my Sports Communication and Sports Media classes.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

There are few things that bring me joy in the world. Sports is one of them. Probably the greatest is my little sister Jenna. So when the two come together in an epic moment I don't think there is something that pulls on my heart more than that.

Jenna is younger than me and we have always been partners in crime. When I was about 6 or 7 years old I learned that she had something called Downs Syndrome, a genetic disorder that is caused by abnormal cell division. To me Jenna was my sister, but to the world around her she was "special."

Over my life I realized that Jenna was indeed special, but not for the reasons the world thought so. She had an uncanny ability to bring happiness to anyone she came contact with. She loved everyone she ever saw and handed out hugs to anyone who was willing. She also loved me more than I deserved. She was my biggest fan and even though I was jealous of the attention she got, she always stood on the sideline at all the games and cheered for me to win the game.

My senior year of high school I had been battling injuries during the football season and often didn't get to play in a few games. Our team wasn't great and there was a lack of positive feelings around the program. Senior night was looming near and a few days before the game I was cleared to play. In practice we found out that if we won, we were eligible for the playoffs. We practiced hard. We prepared. We wanted to win.

Game day rolled along and it was time for Friday night lights. The first half was very uneventful. Neither team could move the ball and the defenses ruled. Eager to get to the locker room and discuss the second half, I was rudely interrupted by my father, mother and Jenna. It was time for the senior recognition. I begrudgingly joined my family mostly annoyed and ready to get done with this. My dad was on my left and my mom held my right arm, holding back tears. Jenna stood in front of me draped in my away jersey, which fit more like a dress. 

The names of the senior and their folks were announced one by one and it was about time to wave my hand and get back to the business of football. The announcer introduced my father and mother, but he forgot to announce Jenna. I was beside myself and started to wave up to the box. I was ready to run up and share some not so nice words with the man behind the microphone. Just then an announcement no one expected. Jenna was honored as the fan of the year. Coach Hall presented her with a personalized jersey, just her size with her name on the back. He flung off my jersey and handed to my dad, ecstatic to don her own. She smiled so big I'll never forget it and my mom's tears (which were many) were matched by several fans and players. 

At that point I didn't care about the game. I was grateful for the moment. I was grateful for my coach. I was grateful for my family, especially my little sister. It was my favorite sports moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment