This is a blog not about the "what" in sports but the "why" in sports. I own 94 New Era ball caps that hang on the wall in my bedroom. Of the 94 I regularly wear only 4 of them, why is that? What causes a fan to claim their favorite team as a part of their family? Why is this country so intrigued by sports? Why has athletics essentially been adopted as religion in this country and across the world? These are topics that will be discussed within this blog. This blog is for educational purposes only and will only be viewed by my Sports Communication and Sports Media classes.

Friday, February 24, 2017

It was the coolest.......

When I was 11 years old I had the chance to participate in one of the best moments of my life. My dad took me to my very first Utah Jazz basketball game. In my family rooting for the Jazz is a requirement. The only time I remember my dad ever yelling at my sister is when she bought a Peja Stojakovic and announced her allegiance to the Sacramento Kings. The Jazz is part of our family.

Naturally my first game instantly became the best day of my life. I was sporting my black John Stockton jersey and couldn't have been happier. The Jazz were dominating the Milwaukee Bucks for the entire game. Stockton, Karl Malone and the crew were doing their thing in route to another Jazz win. Towards the four quarter a young guard, Ray Allen got hot and starting bringing the Bucks back. As NBA Jam would put it, he was on fire.

I began to be very nervous. The Jazz couldn't lose. That was my first game. They had to win for me. With about 30 seconds left in the game, Allen hit a 3 pointer to tie up the game. Jerry Sloan called a timeout for the Jazz and drew up a play. Everyone and their dog knew it was a Stockton to Malone pick and roll and the Mailman would take the last shot. That was the play. Malone got the ball. He nailed the bucket to put the Jazz up with less than two seconds to play.

The crowd hadn't even fully processed the play when the ball was inbounded to Allen and he hoisted a full-court shot. Allen knew he made the shot and the air was completely sucked from the Delta Center as the "cowhide globe hit home." I stood in shock. My dad was trying to drag me out of the arena in order to beat the rush to get to the hotel. I wouldn't move, drenched in mixed emotions of disappointment and amazement. I saw Allen make 3 after 3 and will full confidence drain a game winner. The coolest thing I've ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment