This is a blog not about the "what" in sports but the "why" in sports. I own 94 New Era ball caps that hang on the wall in my bedroom. Of the 94 I regularly wear only 4 of them, why is that? What causes a fan to claim their favorite team as a part of their family? Why is this country so intrigued by sports? Why has athletics essentially been adopted as religion in this country and across the world? These are topics that will be discussed within this blog. This blog is for educational purposes only and will only be viewed by my Sports Communication and Sports Media classes.

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

James Cowser: The FCS Sack King and a Good Friend


Often times the star of fame can cause individuals to think more of themselves, than maybe they deserve. Athletes, collegiate or professional, are classic examples of how recognition can create a feeling of how athletes are "bigger than the game." As a fan, this can cause some content if you get the chance to meet someone you look up to on the court or field and their character doesn't match their athletic ability.

In a world where it's the norm for athletes to make more noise off the playing surface than on, it's always a treat to come into contact with an athlete who does live up to the expectations of the fans. I have a signed poster of James Cowser. To anyone who isn't familiar with SUU football or an Oakland Raiders fanatic, that name might not mean anything. Those who do know Cowser are associated with the all-time FCS sack and tackles for loss leader, a great student, and a great man. My autographed poster might not be the most desired sports memorabilia, but for me it represents one of my favorite players and a good friend.

For the majority of my life, sports represented something to do or something to watch. Though that is still the case, I've noticed that some of my fondest sports memories are centered around relationships. Whether it's attending a Jazz game with my dad or playing flag football with my closest friends the scores and teams don't matter in the end it's all about the people.

Cowser had no reason to associate with me. He was the best player on the football team destined to break records and play in the NFL and I was a little know sophomore. However, when the little known sophomore approached the big man on campus about joining forces to heckle the opposing team at a SUU basketball game, there was no qualms about it. We started of as a group of heckling fans (later donning the name "Dirty Birds) and overtime became friends. Now Cowser is terrorizing quarterbacks in the NFL, but he stills takes time to talk to the no name friend at SUU.

No comments:

Post a Comment