This is a blog not about the "what" in sports but the "why" in sports. I own 94 New Era ball caps that hang on the wall in my bedroom. Of the 94 I regularly wear only 4 of them, why is that? What causes a fan to claim their favorite team as a part of their family? Why is this country so intrigued by sports? Why has athletics essentially been adopted as religion in this country and across the world? These are topics that will be discussed within this blog. This blog is for educational purposes only and will only be viewed by my Sports Communication and Sports Media classes.

Wednesday, April 5, 2017

EA Sports, is it in the game?

Apparently the gamers are taking the term "pwning noobs" to the next level. Certain universities have begun to hand out athletic scholarships to participants in esports. Think about it, it's the definition of "revenge of the nerds." The kid who was bullied because his paladin or elf character was the highest rated RPG on campus are now snagging up the money promised to the varsity quarterback. The question becomes, should esports fall in to the definition of sport and should these folks be given athletic scholarships?

Let's tackle the question of the validity that esports are indeed sports. Since the dawn of human existence man has longed for a way to escape their realities and be something else. That's where sports were born. So in the definition of an event that allows you to compete against others, sometimes sweat and reign victorious over your inferior peers than yes indeed it should be considered a sport. It's a little, non-traditional, but nonetheless it should fit the basic definition.

As far as scholarships go. I'm a big no. I am biased, I'll fully admit that. I can't see how you can give an athletic scholarship to a cheeto downing, energy drink chugging master of "I'm cooler online." Call me traditional, but I think scholarships belong to athletes. So yes, I'm saying esporters aren't athletes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment